Director of the Small Business and Technology Development Center
SBTDC’s mission is to support economic development in the State of North Carolina by providing assistance in the start-up, successful operation and expansion of small businesses and by facilitating the development and transfer of technology within of the state’s small business community.
This position provides senior management oversight and direction for the SBTDC Regional Service Center at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. The SBTDC Director will be responsible for client advice and technical support, center management and administration, marketing and outreach, training, performance reviews and professional development for a center of regional services with full-time employees reporting to the director.
• Planning and coordination of Regional Center programs and activities in accordance with the overall goals and objectives of the SBTDC Strategic Plan
• Supervise and mentor Regional Center staff
• Management of the operational budget of the Regional Center
• Maintain working relationships with key regional partners/resources including NC DOC, EDPNC, Chambers of Commerce, EDCs, Banks and other sources of departmental and equity funding
• Development of program marketing plans and implementation of these plans.
• Provision of appropriate training to meet annual work plan deliverables
• Participate in training events as an instructor or moderator, as appropriate
• Develop an annual performance plan and professional development plan for self and each Center-based employee
• Provide direct customer service, advice and technical support
• Other duties assigned or described in the job description
Minimum training and experience:
• Master’s degree with five (5) years of relevant experience in business management/consulting, or Bachelor’s degree with seven (7) years of relevant experience. An • MBA is strongly preferred.
Preferred education, knowledge, skills and experience:
A general knowledge of board business principles and practices and excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required. Ability to develop and manage multiple projects and proven ability to work effectively with academic and business communities. Experience in owning or managing a small business is strongly preferred. Consulting experience, particularly in a small business. Ability to develop, strengthen and lead strong programs/initiatives; establish and maintain strong partnership relationships; and managing/coaching professional staff/building a team. Must be able to navigate the university environment, work independently, manage multiple projects, and communicate well verbally and in writing. Previous SBTDC experience preferred.
Demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive and equitable work environment.