Lecturer Job (Faculty of Education: Department of Science and Technology Education) at UNIVERSITY OF JOHANNESBURG
Industry: Education and formation
Job Category: Education and formation
Campus: Auckland Park Kingsway Campus
Remuneration: Market related
EE position: Open to everyone
The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a dynamic and cosmopolitan university, rooted in Africa and driven by a powerful strategy focused on achieving Global Excellence and Stature (GES). With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainability, and strategic partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice. The University is guided by the Vice-Chancellor’s vision to “position UJ in the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) within the context of Africa’s social, political and economic evolution”.
The Board of the University of Johannesburg has declared the University as a compulsory vaccination site in accordance with the applicable policy ((https://www.uj.ac.za/covid-19/). All job applications and offers are subject to compliance with this policy.
The Faculty of Education is establishing a Center for Advanced Learning Technologies in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics (CALTSTEAM). The Faculty invites applications for the academic position of Lecturer in CALTSTEAM and Science Education. We are looking for someone with excellent academic credentials in teaching and research in this area.
- Involvement in research at the Center and limited teaching in science education (contact, blended and online) at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels
- Play a leading role in online education innovation
- Supervision of student research at Master’s and Doctoral level
- Participation in national and international research projects
- Obtaining funds for research
- Involvement in core Center activities such as academic administration, research, short course development, marketing and community projects
Minimum speaker requirements
- A master’s degree in science education
- At least 5 years of experience in science education at school level and/or any related area of teacher education at tertiary level
- An exemplary teaching record (online teaching recommended)
- A research footprint (presentation at local research conferences/forums) in advanced learning technologies such as virtual and augmented reality
Skills and behavioral attributes:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Good sense of planning and organization
- Good interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to collaborate with colleagues
- Well-developed teaching and learning fellowship
- Adept in teaching and developing materials for online education
- A defined research trajectory in virtual and augmented reality that has resulted in good quality peer-reviewed publications in accredited journals
- Collaboration with leading researchers in science education and advanced learning technologies
- Teaching experience in science at school level and/or in teacher education at tertiary level
Job content inquiries: Professor Umesh Ramnarain on (011) 559 4384
Compensation and Benefits Inquiries: Mrs. Glaudina Croukamp at (011) 559 3467 (HCM Business Partner)
Your application, including a detailed Curriculum Vitae and full names and contact details (including phone numbers and email addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees, must be uploaded on or before the closing date of the advertised position. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic degree, proof of registration with professional bodies you may belong to, and, if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research results and/or or a portfolio of your creative output.
Applications (UJ e-Recruitment Portal)
If you have general questions regarding the advertised position, please send an e-mail with the subject line of the position reference number to [email protected]
If you need technical support / assistance on the UJ e-recruitment site, please contact our service provider PNET at the following coordinates: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email [email protected]
Applicants may be subject to appropriate psychometric tests and other selection instruments.
In addition to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievement, the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to people with disabilities and people from historically disadvantaged groups. Depending on operational needs, the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to advertised positions. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.